SAVMA Member Benefit and Resources

Veterinary Student Professional Liability Insurance

AVMA PLIT will now sponsor the cost of student liability insurance

You work hard in veterinary school. You know it, and we know it because we were once in your shoes! The idea that someone can allege that you were negligent and committed malpractice during your clinical experiences can be scary and overwhelming. This includes externships and preceptorships as well as any part-time or volunteer work throughout your time as a veterinary student, even during your first year. We want you to know that you are not alone. You are important to us, and we're committed to investing in you-the future of our profession.

The PLIT is proud to support SAVMA and its goals to introduce veterinary students to the concept of organized veterinary medicine and to encourage the development and empowerment of students as leaders in the profession. When you secure student liability insurance, you'll have peace of mind throughout your time as a veterinary student and beyond. 

Apply for coverage today! 

If you are a student in GU, MA, NH register here.

Step 1:Register for a student account on our website
*have your SAVMA member number ready, you will need it to register
Step 2: Check your inbox to verify your email address
*your email must be verified within 24 hours before you can proceed
Step 3: Navigate to "Manage My Account"
Step 4: Go to "Get Student Liability Coverage"
Step 5: Complete application and submit
*you will receive an email after submission acknowledging your application  

What is covered?

You will have many clinical experiences during your student years. Your school may have insurance, but there could be gaps in coverage. To help you protect your future, the PLIT program's student professional liability responds when you are accused of veterinary malpractice.

Why You Need Coverage

  • Even as a student, you can be accused of veterinary malpractice and threatened with a lawsuit
  • Large student debts or a lack of assets will not excuse you from being responsible for a judgment
  • When you transfer your risk to another party (the insurance carrier), you protect your future

Student Liability Coverage Fast Facts

  • There's no cost to you (the AVMA PLIT will sponsor your premium with the insurance carrier)
  • Limit of $2,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 annual aggregate
    • For GU, MA,and NH there is a limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 annual aggregate
  • Coverage follows you wherever you are working
  • You're covered for the entire calendar year*, and you're eligible to renew each year with an active SAVMA membership
  • Learn more with our Student Smart Guide.


*Until the day you become a licensed veterinarian
Coverage subject to policy terms, limitations, and exclusions. Coverage will be effective the day after your completed application is submitted. You will receive an email confirmation of your application and a certificate evidencing coverage. Coverage must be renewed each year.


Cover Your Assets

Watch our new video! "Cover Your Assets" shows veterinary students how to protect their reputations and careers with the right coverage. Having the right coverage is crucial at every point in a veterinarian's career. There's no better time to Cover Your Assets than right now.


Best practices to avoid claims and complaints.
An actual claim example and its outcome.
The role of PLIT and insurance in a veterinarian's career.  

Cover Your Assets  Cover Your Assets - 2

    For new students:  register and use code PLITSTUDENT

    For returning students:  click here


    Facebook iconFollow us! You'll find more tips and special offers—plus a lively community if veterinary students and professionals!