July 21, 2015: PLIT Student Blog

Volunteer work proves costly to Student A

Student A began working as an extern at ABC practice under the supervision of Dr. Z. Student A also volunteered at the local humane society. Practice ABC stated that Student A was covered by the practice's commercial (business owner's) policy. On a volunteer day at the humane society, a dog died during surgery while in Student A's care, under the supervision of Dr. Z. The dog's owner surfaced later and alleged that Student A was negligent. Student A and Dr. Z received a letter from the owner's attorney demanding $10,000.

Dr. Z contacted Practice ABC's local insurance agent for help. Unfortunately, because the incident was outside of their employment at Practice ABC, the practice's commercial policy would not respond. Student A and Dr. Z were each forced to locate and hire an attorney experienced in veterinary malpractice. All legal fees and any settlement or court award against them would be out-of-pocket.

Don't' be Student A (or Dr. Z)--secure your own individual professional liability insurance policy that will protect you wherever you work.


Student Liability Insurance Fast Facts

  • There's no cost to you (the AVMA PLIT will sponsor your premium with the insurance carrier)
  • Limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 annual aggregate
  • Responds when you are accused of veterinary malpractice during externships, preceptorships, part-time employment, and volunteer work
  • Coverage follows you wherever you are working


Apply online in one easy step.

Coverage will be effective the day after your completed application is submitted. You will receive an email confirmation of your application and a certificate evidencing coverage. An application needs to be completed each calendar year.